9/23/2008

Wikis

I learned far more from this exercise than I expected, a case of the more you read the less you know, damn. The video was great, I had always thought of a wiki and the wikipedia as one and the same - wrong. First the Wikipedia, I have been reading with interest the raging debate about it's use and its condemnation by many academics. It seems lately the democratic opportunities for contribution as offered by the Wikipedia will win through, even the Britannica is opening up its site for selected addition by a wider range of contributers. The Wikipedia does have issues, not the least of which is article vandalism, but perhaps this is just teething problems. I am beginning to understand how a wiki could be used in a different way, say for documenting library policy and practice, more immediate than the G drive and able to be added to by all, with moderation of course. I guess in many ways the Fitch is a modified wiki. I am still interested in how recent things are, much of what I could find in my online browsing was either undated, or had been started in a burst of enthusiasm a few years ago and now lies abandoned. It is obviously, to me at any rate, important to date enteries clearly so the reader knows where they are in time. Also it is so easy to wander down side path after side path, so it is really important to ensure that the reader can always identify whrere they are in space too. A very worthwhile topic.

No comments: